Friday, January 12, 2018

Snapchat: Stick to what you're good at

Snapchat is a very well know app used by many to communicate on a daily basis. It's popularity grew thanks to the original app design that allows users to send picture and video messages to their friends knowing that the app will permanently erase said message within seconds. This style of communication allows it's users a constant stream of personal communication paired with the sanctity of privacy that many other apps do not offer. 

A recent article I read talks about the efforts of Snapchat to become more than just a messaging platform. As a user of Snapchat it is evident that the company is attempting to branch out and add more features to the app such as a story line, a map of where your Snapchat friends are, discovery, news feeds & more. Although this seems like a good idea of behalf of the company to provide it's users with more to do, it has proved pointless. Users continue to ignore the new features provided but still find immense value in using Snapchat for it's intended original purpose, confidential messaging. 

I am a person who uses a broad variety of social media platforms, and I do not associate Snapchat with sharing memories or discovering new friends like I would with Instagram or Facebook for that matter. Snapchat has and all ways will be an extremely convenient app to send temporary existing picture and video messages to my contacts. That is what it is known for. Personally I am not surprised that their efforts to redefine the app have failed. 

Personally, I love using Snapchat. I love using it for it's original purpose, & that is to snap a picture of myself and send it to a friend for a maximum of 10 seconds before it disappears. I will continue to use Snapchat as long as this original feature remains. As for all the other little add on's and wanna be features that Snapchat continues to copy from other media platforms, I will most likely continue to ignore them as if they were adds.   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment